Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Regrets

You know, growing up I was never skinny. I never even had that kid phase of "all knees and elbows". I have always been solid.

I wasn't, however, fat. I *thought* I was fat, I *believed* I was fat, but in reality, I was healthy. Actually, looking at pictures, I was freaking hot. Curves, toned muscle. How did I not see that? I think a lot of things contributed to my feelings, but when you get down to the bottom of it, I wasn't stick-thin and I wasn't going to like my body until I was.

I regret that now. I regret never enjoying being in my skin. I regret that for years, I was fit and healthy and strong, yet I never could see that. *Now* I know what fat is. *Now* I know what out of shape is. And guess what? It sucks. I have to wonder if I will ever be happy with myself, if when I get to goal I'll be satisfied, because I never have been. I don't know how it feels to look at myself in the mirror and like what I see. I hope that one day, I will.

I've made a vow that I will do everything within my power to keep my kids from feeling the way I did as they grow up. I will not encourage them to eat less if they say they want seconds. I will not allow their coaches to tell them they are getting to heavy for their chosen sport. I will not be so focused on my own weight issues that by default they become focused on their own.

Instead, I will perpetuate a healthy lifestyle. I will serve healthy foods, so having seconds is never a problem. I will encourage them to participate in sports that don't focus so highly on body weight. I will be at goal before they ever realize I had weight to lose.

I realize I can't *make* them feel happy with themselves. But I am going to do every damn thing I can to help them know what self-confidence feels like.

Because I don't want them to look back on these years with regret.

2 comments:

Aunt Kathy said...

Hi Jenn

My name is AK and I am a friend of Jess. I saw she linked to your blog and I came to check it out. I noticed you were able to cross out some words yet still see the words originally written, how do you do that? I have seen this many times and can't for the life of me figure it out. I am not a crazy stalker, you ask Jess, but I was hoping you could enlighten me.

Thanks.

The Woman Formerly Known as Jenn said...

Hi AK,

Thanks for the heads-up re: not a crazy stalker ;-).

To cross out words, you have to click on the HTML tab while you are writing a post. The you put this (you have to take out the spaces; I couldn't post it without them):

< del >

at the beginning of what you want crossed out. Type what you want crossed out, and when you finish, type this:

< /del >

Again, when you actually do this, remove the spaces.

HTH!
~Jenn~